This well known hymn was written by Elisha Albright (E. A.) Hoffman and published in 1878.
Hoffman was the son of an Evangelical minister who grew up singing sacred hymns both in church and in the home with his parents. After completing high school, he furthered his education at Union Seminary in New Berlin, Pennsylvania, and was subsequently ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1868. During the course of his life, Hoffman composed over 2,000 hymns, and edited over 50 songbooks.